In this week’s episode I describe the multiple reasons to self-publish:
1) More money from eBook sales than in a traditional book deal (70% royalties compared to 20-25%)
2) The ability to use a book to create authority in a niche – he/she “wrote the book on it”.
3) Using a book as a marketing tool itself to sell more expensive products. Write a book to establish authority and then sell people courses, software and events based on that authority.
4) Freedom of Expression – can say what you like in a book without it having to be approved by a “gatekeeper”.
5) Self-Publishing a book to get a traditional book deal – proving you are successful.
1) No financial panacea – not a get rich quick scheme.
2) Not as good as a traditional book deal for making your book available in book stores. Publishers have more experience of this.
3) The industry is full of people trying to scam you out of your money with poor quality services for the price. I mention sites like Writer Beware, David Gaughran’s Blog and the Alliance of Independent Authors as places to visit to find out about which companies to avoid and which to use. Note it you do decide to join the Alliance of Independent Authors then please use the link above as I will get an affiliate commission for it – not much but will help keep this show going.Enjoyed Listening to BSP Podcast Episode 5 - Reasons to Self-Publish and Reasons NotClick To Tweet